Bowtie Goodbye: David Wantz Retires

wantz_retirement__6057As part of an illustrious career, David Wantz, known for his bowties, has helped to integrate the University into the surrounding neighborhoods and define the campus as an anchor in the community. After 35 years, Wantz retired in June to become the president of Independent Colleges of Indiana.

At UIndy, he served as executive vice president and Provost, professor of psychology, dean of students, director of corporate and foundation giving and as special assistant to the President for community and government relations.

“I spent more than half my life at UIndy,” said Wantz. “I met and married my wife, Susan, here. I won’t miss it because it is part of who I am and will always be with me.”

Wantz, who has served two Indianapolis mayoral administrations, holds multiple positions in the local community and is a two-time recipient of the Sagamore of the Wabash award, one of the highest awards given by the State of Indiana.

“The University of Indianapolis has grown tremendously in the past 35 years, and David has contributed significantly to helping us to become what we are today,” added University President Rob Manuel. “His contributions will impact the future of our campus for years to come.”