Curtain Call

commencement_am__2268-2Jim Ream never imagined that he’d be a theatre professor. He certainly didn’t imagine he would be at one place for 45 years. Having earned his master’s degree in religion, Ream thought about creating a traveling religious drama troupe, but teaching at a college seemed like an interesting idea.

To him, it was “just a pipe dream.” But in 1972, he was asked by Dick Williams to stage-manage a show at what was then Indiana Central College (University of Indianapolis).

Over the years, Ream taught classes of scenic design as well as radio and television, public speaking, audio technology and introduction to theatre. Ream also has worked with numerous local and national theatres to design sets.

The University honored Ream during the 2017 Commencement ceremony with an honorary degree. “I am still stunned,” he said. “I have so many great colleagues and I feel very self-conscious and honored to be recognized in this way. This is one of the few times in my life that I couldn’t have dreamed would ever happen. I am very thankful.”