Congratulations, Councilor!

Recent alumna becomes youngest winner in city history

Wheeler,-Elizabeth2History was made November 3 when Elizabeth Wheeler ’13 became the youngest councilor in history for the city of Lawrence in Marion County. She also became the first female Democrat to win in her district (Lawrence Council District 6), garnering 52 percent of the votes for an upset win.

“I am most excited about being a part of history,” she said. “Making history means that my community trusts me to move them forward, and I am ready to make them proud.”

As a UIndy Greyhound, Elizabeth excelled in her work with the campus’s nationally ranked newspaper, the Reflector, as well as with the top student-run public relations firm in the nation, Top Dog Communication. She posted in the UIndy alumni group, “It is because of Top Dog that I was able to dive in head first and run this campaign.”

The photo shows the moment when Elizabeth and her boyfriend, Grant Churchill, heard that she had won the race.

“It’s now my new favorite photo!” she says. “I am proud to be forever be a Greyhound!”