Fall 2013President's Forum

‘Professional Edge’ taking shape & Homecoming’s coming

Rob-ManuelLast year in my first message in this space, I wrote of my gratitude at being welcomed into the UIndy community and my belief that together we could prepare for the economic and societal challenges ahead while holding fast to our mission, values, and traditions. With tremendous alumni support and input, we have spent the last year identifying our strengths and our opportunities, and we now have a framework for making this institution a national model of comprehensive education.

I hope you got a chance to read all about the Vision 2030 strategic planning process in the year-end review magazine, 1400, which was mailed to alumni and friends this summer. (It is still available online at 1400.uindy.edu.) We will be depending upon you a lot this year to help us shape priorities and implement initiatives. One of those just taking form is our new Professional Edge Center, which very soon will be enlisting alumni as mentors for students and will be creating professional development and networking opportunities for both students and alumni. (See story on page 8.)

We also hope to see a lot more of you on campus this year, starting on October 5 with that quintessential fall football celebration, Homecoming. Prepare to bring your loved ones and join students, faculty, and staff for a day filled with family-oriented activities, which starts with service projects and brunch in the morning and continues through the afternoon with Greyhound Village and Tailgate Town entertainment. (See pages 6 and 7.) If you can’t spend the day, perhaps you can help us pack the stands for our 6 p.m. game against Missouri S & T!

Note that the Sunday before Homecoming, Sept. 29, is UIndy Day from noon to 5 p.m. at the Indianapolis Zoo. Check the website at uindy.edu/homecoming for details about this and other Homecoming Week activities. I am looking forward to seeing many of you that week.

Whether it’s then or at another time, I hope you will get the chance to reconnect with UIndy this year. I also welcome your thoughts on how we can create exceptional opportunities for students and alumni. Of course I’d love to meet you in person, but if we can’t chat at a campus event you can write to me at president@uindy.edu. I’m also on Twitter @UIndyPrez.

Robert L. Manuel

Marty
the authorMarty