President's ForumWinter 2013

What’s your vision? Help us plan UIndy’s future

Even before I officially began my tenure in July, and every day since, I’ve been listening to you and other stakeholders share views about our University, and I’ve been asking questions about what makes this institution unique. What aspects of the University of Indianapolis should we be committed to maintaining? What must change as we go forward? And, considering the level
of competition and other challenges we will face in the near future, what can we do better than virtually any other institution in the world?

I’m still listening. In October we launched a strategic planning process for UIndy that is predicated on getting input and participation from our alumni, students, faculty and staff, community leaders, and other stakeholders through a process we’re calling “Vision 2030.” These on- and off-campus sessions challenge us to envision what the University may look like in eighteen years—which is far enough away that we’ll be less likely to feel bound by any current constraints, yet near enough that we’re not tempted to think in terms of jetpacks and flying cars. I’ve been delighted at the level of participation. It’s been a joy to see the activity in the meeting rooms, the paper “tablecloths” filling with ideas at every event.

Meanwhile, even as the Vision 2030 conversations are taking place, four campus task forces are addressing more immediate concerns surrounding use of space on campus, technology and online education, academic and campus life, and communications as it relates to strengthening our institutional brand. The task forces are co-chaired by Cabinet members and deans and include appointees representing all key stakeholders. Each task force will produce specific recommendations in early spring. These recommendations and the themes that emerge from the Vision 2030 conversations will
be channeled to a UIndy Planning Commission that will include my Cabinet, the deans, and members of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee. Once the reports from Vision 2030 and the task forces come in, the Planning Commission will process this information, recommend budget priorities for 2012–13, and prioritize fundraising opportunities.

I hope you’ll join the conversation. Join us at the next alumni Vision 2030 conversation January 15, or comment online at http://uindy.edu/strategic-plan. I look forward to hearing from you!

Rob Manuel

Marty
the authorMarty