President's ForumSpring 2012

‘I’ll miss the great people’ Eighth president says goodbye

A few days ago, Bill and I hosted the Presidential Assistants at our home for a pizza party and presentation of their recent travel experiences, and I was reminded yet again of how “Education for Service” is practiced at UIndy.

Noah Wahl traveled with a team to Mexico to give eye exams and provide free glasses to hundreds of men, women, and children. A biology major who also played football, he’s headed to graduate school in optometry next year. Kelly Cross, a nursing major, worked with a team in Ecuador to provide medical support to hundreds of families. She especially enjoyed helping the children, and she will be working at a special camp for kids when she graduates in May.

These are just two of literally hundreds of students “doing good with what they know.” That’s a phrase we coined a few years ago to remind students of what it meant to be a school with “Education for Service” as its motto, to take the knowledge gained and use it in a way that benefits others.

As I step away from the presidency after seven years, that is what I will miss the most—the joy of watching young 18-year-olds become committed 22-year-olds—ready to take their knowledge and experiences from UIndy to a world that needs them.

As the institution moves to new leadership, I want to take this moment to say thank you for the opportunity to serve UIndy. Our institution is built on a strong history, mission, and values. It has a loyal and passionate alumni base. It has students who are serious about academics and making a difference in the world. It has an outstanding faculty and staff, and it is creating a next generation of leaders in nearly every field.

I will miss Smith Mall in the spring, serving at the Midnight Breakfast, enjoying great performances in the Christel DeHaan Fine Arts Center, and celebrating in the new Athletics & Recreation Center dome. But most of all I will miss the great people, young and old, who define UIndy, those who live every day committed to the values that the University holds so dear.

Beverley Pitts, President

Marty
the authorMarty