President's ForumSpring 2012

‘I’ll miss the great people’ Eighth president says goodbye

A few days ago, Bill and I hosted the Presidential Assistants at our home for a pizza party and presentation of their recent travel experiences, and I was reminded yet again of how “Education for Service” is practiced at UIndy.

Noah Wahl traveled with a team to Mexico to give eye exams and provide free glasses to hundreds of men, women, and children. A biology major who also played football, he’s headed to graduate school in optometry next year. Kelly Cross, a nursing major, worked with a team in Ecuador to provide medical support to hundreds of families. She especially enjoyed helping the children, and she will be working at a special camp for kids when she graduates in May.

These are just two of literally hundreds of students “doing good with what they know.” That’s a phrase we coined a few years ago to remind students of what it meant to be a school with “Education for Service” as its motto, to take the knowledge gained and use it in a way that benefits others.

As I step away from the presidency after seven years, that is what I will miss the most—the joy of watching young 18-year-olds become committed 22-year-olds—ready to take their knowledge and experiences from UIndy to a world that needs them.

As the institution moves to new leadership, I want to take this moment to say thank you for the opportunity to serve UIndy. Our institution is built on a strong history, mission, and values. It has a loyal and passionate alumni base. It has students who are serious about academics and making a difference in the world. It has an outstanding faculty and staff, and it is creating a next generation of leaders in nearly every field.

I will miss Smith Mall in the spring, serving at the Midnight Breakfast, enjoying great performances in the Christel DeHaan Fine Arts Center, and celebrating in the new Athletics & Recreation Center dome. But most of all I will miss the great people, young and old, who define UIndy, those who live every day committed to the values that the University holds so dear.

Beverley Pitts, President