Pen pals: Scholarship recipients write donors with an attitude of gratitude

The Advancement Office convened a note-writing session this fall to give scholarship recipients an opportunity to express their appreciation to those who have helped fund their educations. Meet just a few of those grateful Greyhounds

Stephanie Crowe ’10 is a sociology major who is interested in the environment, social service with minority women, and the slow food movement. She also wants to graduate and enter the Peace Corps, thanks to her love of volunteering. Because of the Jean Barnett Endowed Scholarship, Stephanie has been able take a mission trip to Senegal, West Africa, as well as spend time in Greece with a study-abroad experience.

“Receiving this scholarship means that I was able to receive a great education, but it also means that someone saw something positive in me and wanted to make this generous contribution,” writes Stephanie, granddaughter of the late UIndy alumnus Ray Crowe ’38 ’60.

.
“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at UIndy,” Stephanie says, “and this scholarship has played a big part in helping me to complete my journey here.”

Tamara Manley ’11 decided to attend UIndy part-time to study operations and supply chain management as she also worked and raised three teenagers. But when her company was downsized this summer and she lost her job, she decided to attend full-time instead. The C. S. Ober Scholarship Fund was there to help her with the many expenses.

“Returning to school full-time was a scary thought,” she says, “but here I am, within reach of my goal. I hope to one day have a management position in a logistics department of a global firm. I am so grateful to have a UIndy education. I know this scholarship means a better future for my children.”

.
Mark Wolfe ’13 hopes he’ll be serving in the ministry one day, thanks to the financial help he received from the Thomas R. Richter Endowed Memorial Scholarship. Mark is majoring in youth ministry, pre-theology, and philosophy. One of only 20 students in the U.S. selected for the Interfaith Youth Core Fellows Alliance, a program to foster interfaith engagement on college campuses, Mark also cofounded an interfaith student group at UIndy.
“Receiving a scholarship means that someone has made an investment in my future to support my academic goals in order to better serve my community,” Mark writes. “I am grateful for the opportunity to shine academically and to fulfill my vocational calling.”

.
Junior Rod Carter decided to attend the School of Nursing later in life in hopes of “making a difference in the life of someone in their time of need.” The I. J. Good Scholarship was given to him during a challenging time in his life, he says, and he feels that the scholarship helped to decrease the amount of stress he was feeling.

“In nursing, you see the best and the worst in people. When my spirits are being tried by the negativity in the world, it is uplifting to know that there are people like them. I want to thank them for their donation and spirit.”